What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Counting Sensors with Alert Status

Votes:

We are monitoring several temperature sensors (fridges, -70 degree fridges etc.) with PRTG.

During the day everything is ok. During the night we must trigger an "Alertbutton" to inform a Securitycompany. When I use the Alertfunktion of PRTG "exceute a program" I can trigger that button on Alert and release it on "Back to Normal"

But, if two or more sensors go to "Alert" and one of them goes back to "Normal" I will reset the Alertline - even if other Sensors are on "Alert".

Now my question is ist possible to set up a sensor that goes on "Alert" while any other Sensor is on "Alert" ? or can I look from an external program to PRTG and check if any Sensor is on "Alert" ?

many thanks

alert-count external prtg

Created on Mar 16, 2017 3:28:18 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The easiest way would be to create a Business Process Sensor which will reflect the overall status of all selected sensors. So if any of the configured sensors within the Business Process Sensor is on alert, it will stay on alert and if everything is okay, then the Business Process Sensor will be okay again too. After you have configured the sensor, you just have to add the exe notification to the business process sensor and you can remove it from the source sensors.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 16, 2017 8:45:44 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks so far - it works - but...

if there is a sensor "Paused" it triggers the BPM-Sensor on Alert - how can I avoid that ?

Best regards Thomas

Created on Mar 19, 2017 5:07:44 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

As the manual of the Business Process Sensors states:

The following sensor states allow for the up condition of a channel: Up, Warning, Unusual, Partial Down. All other sensor states will support the down condition of a channel.

So unfortunately, it is not possible to ignore the paused state as it is considered as down.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 20, 2017 9:15:13 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok,

than again the alternative:

is it possible to look from an external program to PRTG and check if any Sensor is on "Alert" ?

Thomas

Created on Mar 20, 2017 9:37:32 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

To get the current status of PRTG and the amount of each sensor state use the following API call:

/api/status.json?asjson=true&id=0&username=USER&passhash=PASSHASH

You can find the passhash under "Setup > System Administration > User Accounts > API-USER > Show Passhash".

To get the status of a specific device or group, just change the "id=0" parameter to "id=GROUP/DEVICE ID" and look at the object array of the JSON.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 20, 2017 10:16:18 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.