What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I define or change the default values for a WMI volume sensor?

Votes:

I would like to know how to define or change the default values for a WMI volume sensor. I know that I can change one-by-one of my WMI volume sensor values in the 'Channel-tab', but I need to set a default value that will be set for all new WMI volume sensors that I create.

Thanks a lot.

change default define sensor values wmi wmi-volume

Created on Jul 29, 2010 8:49:45 PM

Last change on Jul 30, 2010 7:44:20 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

supposing that you do refer to the 'Error'- and 'Warning'-Limits, I'm afraid that these default values are hard-coded, and cannot be changed.

Best Regards.

Created on Jul 30, 2010 11:19:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

well, I have dozen of servers and about 3 or 4 volumes in each one. I need a way to set the same default value for all these volumes of all of the servers.

I would like to know wich is the best way to do it, because do it manually one by one would be so hard.

What can you suggest for me?

Thank you very much.

Created on Jul 30, 2010 7:59:59 PM

Votes:

As said, unfortunately, in the moment there is no other option or way to do this with WMI Volume Sensors.

Created on Aug 2, 2010 12:21:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, and is there a way to create a custom sensor and using a WMI query to monitor volumes, setting its default values and solve my problem? Thank you very much!

Created on Aug 2, 2010 12:35:04 PM

Votes:

Such a Custom Sensor would have the same problem, as the Error-/Warning-Limits are set in 'Channels'-tab of each sensor. So you would have to go through the sensors one by one again. I am sorry for the hassle, but in the moment, it cannot be done in a different way.

Created on Aug 2, 2010 1:46:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As a long time mrtg user, and a big new fan of PRTG AND As someone with a lot of volumes to monitor in prtg

I'm actually quite surprised that WMI ALL thresholds are not customizable. I just ran into this on a system with a 10GB os partition that was only 9% free and found ALL SYSTMS GREEN - that's preposterous, so I modified the settings for this machine.

I'm not looking forward to fiddling with each volume one by one but it looks like that will be required.

JUST WHAT ARE the warning/error thresholds that you have chosen?

tx e

Created on Nov 7, 2010 6:38:52 PM

Votes:

We are testing these sensors, and have found something that doesn't seem to make sense.

Can you only set Error & Warning limits as a percentage of the drive?

We have a lot of volumes that are 1 TB+ in size and to be notified when there is even 1% of the drive left isn't really useful. Is there a way to set the Error & Warning limits so the sensor changes state when there is a specific amount of free space left?

Created on Nov 30, 2011 6:11:04 PM

Votes:

The WMI Volume sensors feature Byte-Limits. Just go to the "Channel"-Tab and select the "Byte-Channel" and enable the limits:

Created on Nov 30, 2011 6:20:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.