What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring router without snmp

Votes:

Hi I'm trying to use PRTG, in order to monitor my asus routers ex. RT n 12hp . I have 2 or 3 computer on my little network, but without snmp how can i get to know if my router have no http service when ping still available. Is it possible to see the whole traffic coming in and out the router?I try to understand the sniffer and Netflow, but I wonder if it is not a waste of time... Thank you very much. Best regards. Riad Hasan

jflow netflow router snmp

Created on Mar 21, 2017 7:08:04 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB Post. I'm very much afraid if the router cannot "talk" SNMP, it's very unlikely that it is able to use protocols Netflow.
The only option would be to use a Windows based PC as proxy and on this one then run PRTG or a PRTG Probe to run a packet sniffer sensor.

best regards.

Created on Mar 22, 2017 12:10:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, yes very respectfully I want to know how to use this netflow sensor for my router (Asus RT n 12hp) Im very new with PRTG.

If you help me to configure netflow to my router, that will be very helpful for me. Please.

I'm sorry for my English if i wrong.

Thank you.

Created on Mar 22, 2017 2:39:46 PM

Votes:

I apologize, if my last response wasn't clear. If the device doesn't support SNMP, it won't support Netflow either. So it's not possible to enable or configure it in any way.

Created on Mar 23, 2017 8:44:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.