What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Failed to read paessh command from shell (1). Reason: read_paessh timeout

Votes:

I have two Linux/Unix machines that are using SSH Disk Free sensors. Since January's PRTG update I have been seeing the error message posted above. I looked at another support thread and saw a question exactly like mine, except the answer didn't apply to my scenario. Before the update, the two Linux machines were using SSH Rights Elevation: "Run the command as the user connecting (default)". The username and password under Credentials for Linux/Solaris/MacOS Systems has always been linked to a virtual machine which also uses SSH Disk Free but isn't Linux (the two Linux machines have different UN and PW). For the past few years this has always worked. Is there any way to create a separate credential specifically for the Linux/Unix machines? Or is there another method to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

disk-free prtg ssh

Created on Mar 28, 2017 8:47:06 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-Post. May I ask, which exact PRTG Version are you running then now?

best regards.

Created on Mar 29, 2017 10:28:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am currently using 17.1.28.1032.

Created on Mar 29, 2017 8:27:07 PM

Votes:

Would it be possible to update your PRTG to the latest version 17.1.30, to see if the issue persists?

Created on Mar 30, 2017 5:11:49 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I"m seeing the same issue on a few of my "Mature" Linux systems. Did this suggestion resolve the issue?

Created on Apr 8, 2017 12:15:02 AM

Votes:

Does the compatibility mode then not work for these older versions?

Created on Apr 10, 2017 8:16:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.