What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Replicate Virtual Machine

Votes:

Hi,

i have question regarding the core installation. Is it possible to install a PRTG Core in Site A with IP10.0.0.1 and replicate the VM to Site B with ip 10.1.0.1 so in case side a is not reachable we can boot the VM on site b?

It would be a easy way to make a failover system instead of a failover cluster.

Thanks in advance

With regards Christopher Weber

cluster failover prtg recovery vmware

Created on Mar 30, 2017 9:22:43 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. You can of course replicate the PRTG VM, or use snapshots as HA solution for PRTG. As for the technical side of the VM management, it's really more an issue of the VM not PRTG.
Bear in mind though, unless a Corporate License is used, only one PRTG Standalone Server can be used at a time.

best regards.

Created on Apr 3, 2017 10:33:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

A word of warning in re IP servers like this. If you have PRTG probes pointing to 10.0.0.1, then of course that will stop working if you re-ip during a failover.

Also, I have a few odd servers with firewall rules allowing PRTG to probe. you might be the same, they would be an issue.

Best case is that you have your failover site on the same layer 2 network. So long as it's not too far away (like 1 to 2ms is fine).

The last thing you want during hardware/server/building failure if you not know what else is broken.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Created on Apr 6, 2017 1:54:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.