What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Reports - Processing Options for Read Only User

Votes:

Hello everyone who is using PRTG,

I would like to ask a question about PRTG reports for read only user type on PRTG. As I need to restrain each user read/write permission on PRTG, I need to set some users as read only user type. It is also good for us to administer who have what level of access to PRTG sensors and devices setting.

However, the read only users can not run the reports on PRTG with Processing Options like following options

- View Report as HTML - Create and store PDF and data files (available for templates with data tables) - Create PDF and data files (available for templates with data tables), store them, and send by email

I think the above options for PRTG reports are nothing to do with read/write permission of each user to PRTG monitoring. But it is more like producing reports in different formats and send the reports in email.

I would like to know if there is a way to give those reporting options (Processing Options) to read only users in PRTG as some read only users need to run reports in different format for analysis. Any response would be greatly appreciated because we need to sort it out asap. Thanks.

permissions processing-options-for-reports read-only reports

Created on Apr 10, 2017 1:50:27 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Tyla,

It's by design that the settings are not visible for read only users. Reviewing reports via the HTML option does not write anything into the configuration of PRTG.

If you choose the option Create and store PDF and data files or Create PDF and data files (available for templates with data tables), store them, and send by email it will write files to the disk or send emails. Read only users are not intended to do this in PRTG.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Apr 13, 2017 5:32:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

You can also set the access level of users in each report that you create in prtg.

ACCESS RIGHTS

Define which user group(s) will have access to the object that you are editing. A table with user groups and rights is shown; it contains all user groups from your setup. For each user group you can choose from the following access rights:

• Inherited : Use the settings of the parent object.
  • None : Users in this group cannot see or edit the object. The object does not show up in lists.
  • Read : Users in this group can see the object and review its settings.
  • Write : Users in this group can see the object, as well as review and edit its settings. However, they cannot edit access rights settings.
  • Full : Users in this group can see the object, as well as review and edit its settings as well as edit access rights.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/reports_settings https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/user_access_rights

Zarate Max

Created on Apr 12, 2017 3:28:30 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Tyla,

It's by design that the settings are not visible for read only users. Reviewing reports via the HTML option does not write anything into the configuration of PRTG.

If you choose the option Create and store PDF and data files or Create PDF and data files (available for templates with data tables), store them, and send by email it will write files to the disk or send emails. Read only users are not intended to do this in PRTG.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Apr 13, 2017 5:32:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

@Zarate Max Thanks for your explanation, Zarate. I don't want to control the access rights on object. The problem I am having is that I would like to give Processing Options on reporting when the read-only users run the reports for monthly reporting. In fact, your post is very informative for another purpose on PRTG network monitoring system. So I really appreciate your effort for the full explanation indeed.

@Felix Thanks for your clarification on PRTG report. Now it becomes to make sense when ready-only users are created just only for monitoring the devices. Previously I understood that read-only meant users not having edit/change privilege on devices and sensors. But now understanding that it also includes stripping the write permission to the drive for the reports. Much appreciated for your help, Felix.

Created on May 3, 2017 4:42:03 AM

Votes:

You're welcome Tyla! :)

Best regards, Felix

Created on May 3, 2017 7:31:35 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.