What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Have gauges ignore history

Votes:

I have a few maps that use sensor channel gauges. I have upper limits set, but the gauges maximum displayed value on the "dial" is based off the max recorded value in history. Is there a way to have the gauge reset the maximum value to a certain defined number? E.g I have a gauge that measures current number of connected RDP sessions. Upper warning limit is 15, Upper error limit 20. But the actual dial goes to 66, a number we achieved during stress testing. I don't want or need the dial that big, unless it actually hits that value. It usually hovers around 12 to 15.

I tried to set a spike filter max value to 25, and even though its not what I want (I need to see if its actually above 25) it ignored my upper warning limit yellow zone and just displays a red zone.

Vertical Axis scaling doesn't do what I want either.

Any ideas?

channel-gauges maps maps-editor

Created on Apr 10, 2017 11:39:34 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

I'll address each matter separately:

I have a few maps that use sensor channel gauges. I have upper limits set, but the gauges maximum displayed value on the "dial" is based off the max recorded value in history.

Yes, the behavior you've experienced is correct/expected. The gauges will "auto-scale" to the maximum value ever recorded by default.

Is there a way to have the gauge reset the maximum value to a certain defined number?

The easiest way to "reset" a gauge is to actually clone the sensor, then delete the original sensor. The cloned sensor will have no history, hence the "maximum" value will be cleared too, and the maximum value will be re-evaluated.

E.g I have a gauge that measures current number of connected RDP sessions. Upper warning limit is 15, Upper error limit 20. But the actual dial goes to 66, a number we achieved during stress testing. I don't want or need the dial that big, unless it actually hits that value. It usually hovers around 12 to 15. I tried to set a spike filter max value to 25, and even though its not what I want (I need to see if its actually above 25) it ignored my upper warning limit yellow zone and just displays a red zone.

I don't want or need the dial that big, unless it actually hits that value. - This makes it tricky. If you use any sort of spike filtering, values higher/larger than a specific spike filter will ALWAYS be ignored, so this setting has to be used very carefully. The best way to achieve this would actually be by cloning/re-creating the sensor as suggested above.

Vertical Axis scaling doesn't do what I want either.

Yes, because the vertical axis is only valid for graphs, not for gauges.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Apr 13, 2017 6:38:52 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.