What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WISP Data monitoring

Votes:

We are a new WISP and I have looked through your site and watched some videos on PRTG. What I am looking for is a program that can monitor customers data usage and PRTG, from what I could tell, is capable of such a thing.

I have setup netflowv9 on our router (ubiquiti edgemax) in an attempt to capture data useage however the actual data i'm receiving seems to not jive with whats actually happening in the network, i'm seeing very low badnwidth and really no data information. I checked with wireshark and I am receiving the netflow data on this computer.

I setup snmp on a couple radios (customer premise equipment) to see what was captured there, and again the data doesnt seem to be very accurate.

I am fairly new to PRTG and definetely not a vetran by any means.

I guess my question is. Can PRTG be used for what I intend? (Monitor customer data useage, alert me at key points in data use to alert customers of limits nearing, track monthly reports and keep a history)

We currently have 40 or so customer and are expanding quickly so i would like to find something sooner than later.

As for outages and whatnot I do already have a program for that, I really just need to have a system of data measurement.

THANK YOU!

netflow-v9 prtg prtg-network-monitor

Created on Apr 12, 2017 2:26:26 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. PRTG does have options for this kind of bandwidth monitoring with the flow-sensors in it. Coming from a traditional cable network brackground though, it needs to have fixed elements to identify these users here. So do the users have fixed IPs in order to identify their bandwidth usage?
If that is the case, we can definitely look into why the netflow numbers don't match the expectations. And also give you tips to the alerting.

best regards.

Created on Apr 13, 2017 10:34:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have a broadband cable network that is already monitored.. I am wanting to use this on the WISP side of our network which is completely seperate.

All clients have been assigned a static IP address and their radios are routers for their own LAN. The radios themselves dont seem to have any netflow ability but they do offer SNMP.

I am monitoring through the edgemax router (ubiquiti) which is set to send netflowv9 data to my local probe server.

What Im seeking is compiled data from the unique static IPs to determine data useage for the customers and allow me or a program to alert them when reaching certain threshholds to avoid them going over their package data.

Created on Apr 13, 2017 2:05:38 PM

Votes:

Okay, with static IPs, it should be possible to use Netflow Sensors here. In order to find out if proper and compatible Netflow packets are arriving at the PRTG host, please use our Netflow Tester. Please forward a screenshot or the logs from the Netflow Tester to us.

Created on Apr 18, 2017 7:04:13 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good Morning, I have taken a screenshot of the netflow tester. It seems my other account got removed so I created this one to followup. We are getting very busy and I would like to get this working or seek another avenue.

Where shall I forward the screenshot to?

Created on Apr 20, 2017 4:23:38 PM

Votes:

You can either share the screenshot here directly, or send it via email to [email protected] with reference to this KB-Thread.

Created on Apr 21, 2017 7:38:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.