What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Cluster, how do get primary sensors displayed on failover server?

Votes:

Hello all,

I am on a small setup of just 70 sensors so i am on the free edition of PRTG. I understand that clustering can still be done so i tested it out.

Cluster seems to be working however i am unable to see any primary server sensors on the failover cluster. Only the cluster health. How do i get all sensors over to be displayed? even when running a report on the failover cluster i do not anything other than the cluster health.

Is this expected ?

Thank you!

cluster fail-over missing sensors

Created on Apr 25, 2017 1:55:46 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-post.

Please note that objects (sensors/devices/groups) installed on the Local Probe of the Master server are not automatically monitored by the Failover. Only the objects on the Cluster Probe are shared within your PRTG Cluster and therefore monitored by both the Master and the Failover. Please also see this article for more information: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/clustering

If you want to move devices from the Local Probe to the Cluster Probe, you can do the following:

- create a group (or groups) under the Cluster Probe

- click on "Management" tab

- drag and drop devices from the Local Probe to the group that you created under the Cluster Probe.

Then you will be able to see on the Failover the sensors that were on the Local Probe of the Master.

Best regards

Created on Apr 25, 2017 8:43:23 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Isidora,

Thanks for the pointer. Done the following and it is now showing up on both sides. Appreciate this :)

Created on Apr 25, 2017 8:58:25 AM

Votes:

Hey guys, I have one question about this case.

What happens if both nodes are up and 1 sensor of the Cluster Probe goes down? Will both of servers send the e-mail alert or just the Master?

Thanks!

Bruno Guidone

Created on Mar 1, 2018 5:32:30 PM

Votes:

Hi Bruno,

Yes, only one notification will be sent by the current master if all cluster partners are up.

Please do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 2, 2018 3:27:07 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.