What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Monitor behind apache

Votes:

i was able to configure apache as a frontend for the network monitor web interface using the steps on this link. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/42193-using-apache-webserver-as-ssl-proxy-for-prtg

so now network monitor (eg: 10.10.10.10) is frontended on apache running on another server (eg. 10.10.10.11) .

the problem we face is when looking at historic data using the interface on 10.10.10.11. the page and the numbers show up, but the graph will not display.

the graph works if we login to the web interface of network monitor directly (10.10.10.10)., and once we login, then if i use the apache URL (10.10.10.11) then the historic data page will shows the graph correctly.

is there any way to fix this? as we are using the apache frontend for external access to the network monitor.

apache chart frontend graph historic-data httpd

Created on Apr 26, 2017 1:16:13 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Which PRTG version are you currently running? The issue appears to be that the image links break in your scenario. Generally PRTG will use the IP used in the current browser session for generating image-links in the report.

Please look at the image links when they're broken to see where they are pointing to and then compare them after this particular scenario you mentioned:

the graph works if we login to the web interface of network monitor directly (10.10.10.10)., and once we login, then if i use the apache URL (10.10.10.11) then the historic data page will shows the graph correctly.

I think however that we can't provide a real viable workaround for this particular scenario. What could work is when creating a PDF report instead while being logged in through the external IP.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Apr 28, 2017 11:21:33 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard

Thanks for your reply.

The PRTG version is PRTG Network Monitor 13.1.2.1462

I have the link below for the graph when opened over the apache URL (10.10.10.11). It shows the IP of the network monitor instead of the apache URL. I believe this is why the link only works if i've logged in atleast once to the network monitor directly.

http://10.10.10.10/chart.png?graphid=-1&id=3825&avg=60&sdate=2017-04-28-00-00-00&edate=2017-04-29-00-00-00&clgid=&width=850&height=270&graphstylefile=graphstyling.htm&animationandinteraction=1&datastylefile=graphdatastyling.htm&animationstylefile=graphanimationstyling.htm&graphstyling=baseFontSize=%2711%27%20showLegend=%270%27%20tooltexts=%271%27&datastyling=drawAnchors=%271%27%20anchorRadius=%271%27%20lineThickness=%272%27&refreshable=true

Is there any way to force PRTG to use the apache URL instead?

About the PDF report, the options for output for the Historic Data page are as follows: Select an output format File Format HTML web page XML file CSV file

How do I add a PDF option here?

Thanks for your support

Created on Apr 29, 2017 8:21:50 AM

Votes:

Yes, that's what I suspected too, it does not really recognize that a different IP is being used due to this reverse-proxy construct.

Sorry, my bad, historic data reports don't have a PDF option, it's only available for this report feature.

The only thing that might work -in case version 13 has this option- is under Setup | System Administration | User Interface setting the IP as "DNS Name". However I'm not really if this will work. The current version for example is set to follow the currently used IP in the browser session and I can't tell how/if version 13 is different in this regard. Thing is, even if PRTG would use the current IP of the session, however I'm not really sure even with the current version in this particular scenario if would recognize being called trough a different IP initially through the reverse-proxy.

In case version 13 has also the aforementioned reporting feature, you could configure instead there reports to be generated automatically instead "on demand".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 1, 2017 11:49:25 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.