What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor multiple java processes on Linux

Votes:

Hello Paessler Support and kb-members, i try to monitor multiple java processes and want to list them one-by-one. The initial situation is that i got three java processes but all of them use different parameters. In general i monitor them by adding the java proc in my snmpd.conf but the problem is that i can't seperate them in the PRTG monitoring. If i use a Basic Linux Library Sensor i get the known "processes count" or "error flags" as given options but i want to have an own sensor for each of the three java processes.

Does anybody know or have hints on how to name the procs in the snmpd.conf correctly to create a sensor for each java process? I already tried to insert the whole path of the java process as well as some parameters that were given.

Thank you. Greetings, Martin

java linux process

Created on Apr 27, 2017 1:33:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

The only viable option here would be to run each process in their own JVM instance and use the built-in SNMP server. Then use the JVM MIB with our SNMP Library Sensor and you should be all set.

Let me know if you're stuck anywhere :)

Created on May 1, 2017 11:50:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same requirement (monitor multiple java processes on Linux). I tried your approach but then the problem is that PRTG allows only one SNMP port per device. However each JVM instance would require its own port so that's not practical (would require multiple device clones?). Correct?

Created on May 23, 2017 2:57:57 PM

Votes:

It would require one device per application, yes.

Created on May 23, 2017 3:03:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.