What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How are CPU Ready % calculated in VMware Host perf sensor?

Votes:

Hi,

ESXi gives CPU ready in ms. How do you convert that to Ready %? I ask because most hosts show 50-60% CPU ready even though latency is really not that high.

esxi prtg vmware

Created on Apr 28, 2017 11:55:02 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The calculation follows this description from VMware.

Also an interesting read: CPU Ready Time in VMware and How to Interpret its Real Meaning

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Apr 28, 2017 1:35:19 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thx for the answer. But CPU ready is a value per VM not per host.

So the sensor uses CPU Ready % for all VMs and adds them up?

Created on Apr 28, 2017 1:41:38 PM

Votes:

There's also a CPU ready metric for the host, that's the one we retrieve for the host performance sensor. In case you don't see it in vSphere, it might be disabled in the view of the performance metrics.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Apr 28, 2017 2:46:17 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does this CPU Ready metric for the host relate to normal CPU load?

For example on some hosts this goes higher than 100%. Is this per CPU? ie. If i have 8 cores and and a CPU Ready of 100%, does that mean on average one CPU is in ready status?

Created on May 4, 2017 9:27:08 AM

Votes:

For details about the metric I would suggest to ask VMware directly, since we do not know what they do internally, we're just retrieving the values :)

Created on May 4, 2017 10:02:11 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.