What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WLC Sensor for Clients for specific SSID

Votes:

Playing around with Custom Library's and got the basic handling on how to do them. Now trying to do something I guess more advanced. How can I acheive this?

I found this string, which does return the correct value. I just don't quite get how to translate this into PRTG.

snmpwalk -v 2c -c $community $IP_of_Controller 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1.4.1.7 | grep -i "ssid name" | wc -l

cisco-wlc clients prtg17

Created on May 1, 2017 5:15:46 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

So you already converted a MIB file to oidlib-format for the SNMP Library sensor? OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1.4.1.7 delivers a string back, so the SNMP Library sensor should create basically an SNMP Custom String sensor, showing the value in the sensor's message field. You could also identify the "full" OID yourself and create an SNMP Custom String sensor yourself, you don't necessarily need to use the library sensor for that.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 2, 2017 12:43:37 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I have converted.

That OID will return rows of wireless clients along with their SSID. What I want to do is gather the total amount of rows for a specific SSID and display the value on a graph.

Is that possible with the Custom Sensor?

Created on May 8, 2017 6:49:26 PM

Votes:

It can't be done out of the box with standard sensor, but with a custom script sensor this should be possible. I don't have a "template" for this scenario to give you, but these two threads might serve you as a starting point for your own script:

Feel free to share your own script with the community if you like.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 9, 2017 1:25:57 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.