What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor File creation/modification.

Votes:

I have a folder with about 50 files in it that are re-created each day. I want to track the time stamp on them so I can trend the time it takes for the process to run that re-creates them. The file monitor sensor tells me how old each file is but I'm more interested in tracking the actual timestamp. I want to look back at the history and see file A was created at 03:00, then the next day it was 03:02, then 03:03, etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

file time update

Created on May 2, 2017 2:05:32 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

I have not done this, but it should be simple.

You need to setup PRTG with a scanner interval of the following: "@ UTC 17:00" This just means only scan once, at that time. Then use the folder or file sensor to get the file age.

That should give you enough to track its progress over week or months.

Created on May 3, 2017 4:57:59 AM

Votes:

This may work. I'll have to test. The scanner interval looks very helpful but I am not seeing where I can put the @ UTC 17:00. I have unchecked the scanning interval inheritance but the drop down only offers set intervals from 5s to 24 hours. The 24 hours doesn't allow me to specify what time to run it at.

Thanks for your help.

Created on May 3, 2017 1:09:46 PM

Votes:

System Admin > Monitoring > Scanning Intervals

You can add a custom entry there.

My list looks like this: 5s 30s 1m 5m 10m 15m 30m 1h 4h 6h 12h 1d @ UTC 17:00

Created on May 4, 2017 5:37:54 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.