What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What is the difference between alarm notification and push notification on PRTG mobile app?

Votes:

Hi there,

I would like to understand the difference between alarm notification and push notification on PRTG mobile app. How does the alarm notificaiton work on mobile app? Would it be the same as alarming system on WebUI? Or How do we manage it for mobile app?

Currently I have setup push notification based on State (State Trigger) so that our on-call engineers know when the sensors are down after breaching the threshold limit on various channels of each sensor. Thus I can control when to trigger push notification and for how long it waits to perform Push Notification. Anyhow our on-call engineers are complaining about getting too much false alarms on mobile app at night. Sometimes CPU and RAM usage spikes for some time due to backup jobs at night time which are really bothering our on-call engineers.

All in all, I am trying to achieve to have the quieter alarming on mobile app for on-call engineers by avoiding false alarms as much as we can. Let's say we don't want to trigger alarm notification until the CPU and RAM spikes for a certain interval like waiting for 30 to 45 minutes and trigger the alarm if the CPU and RAM usage are still high for 45 minutes constantly. We don't want to wait till the servers crash. Please let me know what is the best way to achieve it. Thanks a lot in advance, folks.

notificaitons prtg-mobile-app sensors-threshold spikes tiggers

Created on May 3, 2017 5:05:27 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Tyla,

The difference is that the alarming inside the app is based on periodic refreshes the app performs on its own, so it's more like the opposite of push, it's more of a "pull". When it notices sensors in error states, it will inform you about it if configured to do so in the app's settings.

I think push notifications are more what you want. The PRTG server decides when those are triggered, based on your configured notification triggers and will "pro-actively" push those messages out to the mobile clients, no matter whether those are actively refreshing sensor states or only do so once in a while. So you could disable the alarm notification inside the app completely and leave only the push notifications enabled.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 3, 2017 8:10:22 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks a lot for your response, Erhard. I was not sure that the alarming system on mobile app is different from the alarms on PRTG WebUI. Now you clarified that with a good explanation. So you suggest the push notification would be more centralized-administrative as it can be managed by WebUI notification. Much appreciated for your answer.

Created on May 17, 2017 1:18:45 AM

Votes:

Yes, push notification can be regarded as more "centralized" and it is way more friendly for your phone's battery life, since those other alarms rely on the app polling the server for updates about what's going on and then to process if there are alarms to inform you about, which is not the case with the push notifications, since they are pushed by the core server and the app just receives them through the mobile operating systems notification mechanisms you could say.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 17, 2017 8:17:26 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.