What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor user login

Votes:

I am working on a sensor to monitor what user is logged into a pc. Originally I thought using wmic to query username currently logged in, but PRTG cannot handle a returned text value. Tried using powershell to check event logs and it only shows the event ID count. The logs show part of the message but cannot view the whole message to see what user logged in.

Has anyone tried to create a sensor for this purpose and if so would you give me advice on how you made it work? Thank you.

custom-sensor eventlog powershell wmic

Created on May 3, 2017 6:03:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello mtngoat,
Thank you very much for your post. Please refer to this knowledge base article on how to monitor the logged in users on a specific machine.

Please download the "UsersLoggedinXML" custom sensor here and extract the UsersLoggedinXML.exe.exe file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXEXML" on the PRTG Core Server as well as the Probes, the sensor is deployed to.

Create a new EXE/Script Advanced sensor on the machine, you'd like to monitor. Please choose "UsersLoggedinXML.exe" from the drop down field "EXE/Script" and set at least the following parameter:

"-c=%computername%"

Further parameters can be found in the above linked knowledge base article.

Kindly note, that depending on your operating system, also default system users such as "DWM-1" on e.g. Windows 8 can be shown. You can use the sensor-based filter parameters to hide those default users.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 4, 2017 10:29:20 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.