What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog Data not recieved

Votes:

Hi,

I just create a sensor "syslog receiver" to receives "Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller" logs so i just perform below steps

Windows Server 2012 R2 (Source Computer)

Run Power shell Command :

winrm get winrm/config winrm quickconfig

PRTG Server (Collector)

Add Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain controller device as SNMP device Add new syslog reciever

Sensor shows green mark but no logs is collecting on PRTG server.

Kindly help

sensor syslog syslog-sensor

Created on May 5, 2017 6:56:29 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Osama,

You mentioned that you add the device ans SNMP device, is there any chance that you used the SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor instead of the Syslog Receiver Sensor?

I also recommend to check the settings of the syslog sensor and to remove every filter rule until any message is displayed.

If there are still no messages shown, install a packet capture tool like WireShark on the host where the probe runs and see if any syslog packets (default port 514) are received. This ensures that the sending device is configured properly.

Best regards, Felix

Created on May 5, 2017 10:02:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes i am confirmed that i used Syslog Receiver Sensor

Removed all filtered

On PRTG host machine i check with

netstat -an

and found that port 512 port is listening

Created on May 6, 2017 6:16:11 AM

Votes:

Hi Osama,

Do the WireShark captures show incoming syslog messages from the device?

Best regards, Felix

Created on May 9, 2017 8:16:42 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.