What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HP Laserjet Color MFP Detailed Page Counters

Votes:

Hello, First, this is not a question. It's a How to. In this howTo I will use a HP Laserjet Color MFP as scan-Subject.

The first Things you need are the OIDs, you will sense. Here we're using

PropertyOID
Total Page Count1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1
Total Duplex Page Count1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.4.2.1.4.1.2.22.0
Total Black/white printed Page Count1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.4.2.1.4.1.2.6.0
Total Color printed Page Count1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.4.2.1.4.1.2.7.0

I figured out these OIDs by myself with help of the free downloadable SNMP-Test Tool here on Paessler Website.
It's not that difficult if you first came behind the way OIDs are built up.

To create a working OIDLIB out of this data is quite easy. To be honest, I just used a MIB File, exported it with the MIB importer (also free here at this Website) and had a look into the file itself.

So you need the raw frame first:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<oidlist>
	<system>
		<version>2</version>
	</system>
	<list>
		<entry>
		</entry>
	</list>
</oidlist>

Between <Entry> and </Entry> you will place your Settings for each separate channel. Here is the one for the total page channel:

<entry>
		<name>HP-Laserjet |page count|Total Pages</name>
		<lookupname></lookupname>
		<oid>1.3.6.1.4.1.1773.1.1.1.22.0</oid>
		<type>vmAbsolute</type>
		<kind>mkDirect</kind>
		<unittype>sutCustom</unittype>
		<units>Pages</units>
		<indicator>Total Pages</indicator>
		<scale>1</scale>
		<multiply>no</multiply>
		<max>0</max>
		<usegetnext>no</usegetnext>
		<is64bit>no</is64bit>
		<isunsigned>no</isunsigned>
		<isfloat>no</isfloat>
		<description>The total number of pages printed.</description>
	</entry>

You can copy/paste this and replace the related parts with the other OIDs. Just make sure to close the file with </list> and </oidlist>

otherwise the parser won't work.

Also make sure to set the type to vmAbsolute

I hope that helped some of you, who are on the search for a way to bring your own sensors up.

After you copied the [placeNameHere].oidlib File in %PRTGInstallPath%\snmplibs\ you can add a sensor at your device and search for "library" in the search field. then you can chose your own created oidlib file and select the sensors which fit with this device you are sensing.

Have fun!

howto hp oidlib printer snmp

Created on May 9, 2017 12:27:20 PM

Last change on May 11, 2017 8:55:49 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Patrick,
thank you for your contribution.

I've modified the formatting of your post a little bit, but thank you for the input, that's a interesting approach to deploy custom sensors. :)

Cheers!
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 11, 2017 8:57:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.