What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification limits for sensors that are up and down in quick succession

Votes:

Hi there,

I was wondering whether there was a way to limit the frequency of notifications for a down sensor that comes back online and goes down again in quick succession. i.e. A ping sensor goes down, if down for 2 minutes a notification is sent to log a call with our helpdesk. However if the sensor comes back up after 5 minutes, then goes down again after 2 minutes, we would not need another email notification to the helpdesk.

Is there a way of setting this up?

Thanks Callum

frequency limit notifications

Created on May 11, 2017 8:46:16 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Callum,

I'd suggest you create a dedicated notification for this "flappy" sensor where you select notification method Send first DOWN message ASAP, then summarize. Apply a summarization period that suits you. The first down event will then trigger the notification, all following changes like going up and down again will be collected for the configured summarization period OR 25 events have been accumulated, then the summary will also be sent out before the summarization period is over.

Please note that this whole "summarization mechanism" works for email notifications, it will not work for HTTP or script notifications for example.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 12, 2017 11:06:44 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the response Erhard, i've now put this into place and will give it a test :) Hopefully this will sort out our flappy sensor!

Thanks Callum

Created on May 15, 2017 9:13:23 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.