What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to specify default Primary Channel in device template

Votes:

We have had great success in making custom device templates that add only the sensors, and exact configurations we're looking for. I find this automation excellent as it avoids the possibility of miss-configuration.

However, I am thus far unable to set the Primary Channel via a node in <createdata>. In this case, I am trying to setup a custom template for Dell EqualLogics, and we hope to add threshold notifications via Library (which can only apply to the Primary Channel -- hence my desire). As suggested by https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/70882-can-i-use-a-generic-meta-scan-for-any-sensor-type I have found the parameter primarychannel via source of an existing sensor, but unfortunately no variation of possible values I have tried seems to have the desired outcome.

To illustrate, here is a snippet of my template: <create id="equallogicmember" kind="snmpdellequallogicmemberhealth" meta="snmpdellequallogicmemberhealthscan" requires="equallogic"> <createdata> <tags> test_tag </tags> <primarychannel>5|Storage Free % (%)|</primarychannel> </createdata> </create>

The value 5|Storage Free % (%)| is from the source of a working sensor, and I have tried variations of 5|Storage Free % (%)|,5, and Storage Free % (%) without success. Note that the test_tag is created in this example, so at least part of the createdata node does appear to be working as intended.

Is it possible to set the Primary Channel via template, and if so, what is the syntax?

Many thanks in advance!

device-tempate equallogic primary-channel

Created on May 12, 2017 6:05:27 PM

Last change on May 15, 2017 12:43:07 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Kevin, we appreciate your contact and inquiry.

I'm pleased to hear about your positive experience with device templates. About what you want to achieve, the primary channel is set a little bit below, under <create> within the <channeldata>:

[...]
    <check id="snmp" meta="snmp" requires="ping"/>
    <check id="equallogic" meta="snmp" requires="snmp">
      <metadata>
        <oid>
        </oid>
      </metadata>
    </check>
    <create id="equallogicmember" kind="snmpdellequallogicmemberhealth" meta="snmpdellequallogicmemberhealthscan" requires="equallogic">
      <channeldata primary="14" modulo="0" fix="-1" sum="-1" v="1">
        <downchannel id="-4">
        <list>
          <channel id="1">
          [...]
          <channel id="22">
        </list>
      </channeldata>
      <triggerdata/>
    </create>
  </devicetemplate>

Right below the <create> you'll locate this line:

<channeldata primary="14" modulo="0" fix="-1" sum="-1" v="1">

This is used to set the primary channel in the device template, and should fit your needs. There is however one downside:

While this may work for "Storage Free %" it may not work for other channels. From the 10th channel onward the sensor uses dynamic data, so the numbering of channels will vary accordingly to the number of relevant properties (Temperature Control, FANs, etc) entries. But agani, for "Storage Free %" this shouldn't be an issue.

The primary channel will be set when you create a device template for this sensor type using the "Create Device Template" option in the web-interface.

Also, since you're interested in templates, the following may interest you:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 15, 2017 1:16:52 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on May 15, 2017 1:17:46 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.