What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Licensing

Votes:

If I purchase PRTG XL1 and outgrow it and want to create a cluster (PRTG XL5). Without loosing data, would I be able to do that? I'm assuming that with a cluster its one interface dashboard and the sensor load is shared amogst all of the servers?

clustering load-balance server-design

Created on May 15, 2017 9:22:25 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear onwelfare

A cluster with one failover is possible with the XL1 license. For more failovers, either additional XL1 licenses, or an XL5 license is required.

However, the load is not shared. Each node (master and all failovers) have the full load, the master even additional load as it has to manage the cluster. If you report for the failovers, you generate additional load on the master, as the failover sends the data but the master is processing it for the report.

A PRTG cluster is an active/active cluster. If the master or failover is down, the other node(s) continue to collect data. But the data gaps are not retroactively filled. However, as mentioned, you can report over all nodes.

Created on May 16, 2017 12:02:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.