What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Hyper-V Guest VM's in Failover Cluster

Votes:

I'm running a 2 node Hyper-V 2016 failover cluster. If I monitor the VM's under each host the sensors fail after a live migration. Is there any way to monitor the cluster in its entirety so that probes remain consistent regardless of which host they may be residing on? I have added the cluster but it only recognizes the VM's on the current host server, not on the other node.

This is for PRTG V. 17.2.31.2018

failovercluster hyper-v prtg

Created on May 18, 2017 2:42:57 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

If you have multiple hosts which are constantly moving VMs, then direct the sensor to the System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) instead of every host. So add a new device within PRTG with the IP Address/DNS Name of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager and add all the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensors to it. This will ensure that monitoring continues even after a move of a VM.

Best regards.

Created on May 18, 2017 7:57:15 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I understand this correctly this only works with SCVMM. Is there anyway to leverage sensors the Windows Failover Cluster Service without SCVMM?

Created on May 23, 2017 1:01:28 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

That is correct. Unfortunately, the SCVMM would be the only interface that offers the data of all nodes. Due to the fact that there is no other interface than the SCVMM or the Hyper-V nodes itself, there is no other way to monitor the cluster unified.

Best regards.

Created on May 24, 2017 6:42:54 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I have done everything like desribed, and yet a get note that virtual machine sesor cannot be created. The scan for available ites has failed... Is there some step-by-step manual how to get this working...

Created on Mar 21, 2018 8:45:19 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Where do you try to add the sensor to? Could you forward some more information what you have tried, what system is requested and so on?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 21, 2018 1:46:00 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi. So i have SCVMM installed on server. Its SCVMM 2016 on server 2016. I have cluster made and 35 virtual machines. As mentioned in post upper in topic, i have tried to add hyper v virtual machine sensor on SCVMM server but then error occurs. "Scan for available monitor items has failed. Could not create the sensor on device" And then to check WMI etc. I can add every WMI sensor on server with no problem. So i dont know did i miss something, or doing sometnig wrong. PRTG is installed on server 2012R2.

Created on Mar 22, 2018 1:45:24 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please use our WMI Tester (https://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester), run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe) and scan against this particular target. Please use the "Custom"-Query from the "Advanced" Tab with the following query:

SELECT
    Name
FROM
    Win32_PerfRawData_IdePerfProvider_HyperVVirtualIDEControllerEmulated

What results do you get?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 22, 2018 2:46:27 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

HI,

I get 80041008: One of the paramaters to the call is not correct. Then i have tried that against Hyper-v standalone host and got same message, but on that host Hyper-v machine sensor is working whitout problems. So basically i got nothing :) Then i went on machine that has Hyper-v role and run the string on the machine.. and got no results.. Name is empty. Then i have run this string on hyper v host, SELECT Name FROM Win32_PerfRawData_NvspNicStats_HyperVVirtualNetworkAdapter and got network adapters. Went on prtg probe server and runned same string against same hyper v host and got "80041008: One of the paramaters to the call is not correct."

Dont know what is problem..

Created on Mar 23, 2018 10:29:16 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you try the following query again? This time without the empty spaces:

SELECT Name FROM Win32_PerfRawData_IdePerfProvider_HyperVVirtualIDEControllerEmulated

Do you get any results now?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 23, 2018 11:48:14 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, sorry

against scvmm from probe same error. against hyper v host same error on hyper v host no result at all.

dont worry.. im leaving this as is... until one day there is sensor that could manage live migrations in cluster.

Created on Mar 23, 2018 12:22:07 PM

Votes:

I'm also running into this problem. I have some Windows Server 2019 Hyper-V hosts being managed by SC-VMM v1807. I have run the WMI query above against the server hosting SCVMM and it doesn't return anything. That class doesn't exist in the CIMv2 namespace.

I really want to use PRTG but if it can't properly monitor a Hyper-V cluster, I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

Created on Mar 11, 2019 3:40:06 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.