What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Calculations on sensor data

Votes:

Hello! I am rather new to PRTG, and so far we've loved it for monitoring our systems mainly because of how easy it was to setup. Now I want to get deeper into it, and my first goal was to get the total number of pages printed per day, and I can't find a sensor for it allready so I am trying the Sensor Factory.

I only need to store the total nr of pages printed yesterday and subtract todays number, the guide on sensor factory wasn't clear on how to exactly do this.

Also I just created the account, why are we only allowed to have maximum of 16 characters as a password?

calculations math password printer prtg

Created on May 22, 2017 12:56:26 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Zeay,

I just came online to post the same question!

It would be great to have a "page bandwidth", how many pages since last time i checked.

And I just found it!!, add a custom SNMP sensor, use the OID of 1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1 and set the counter type to "delta". The OID might change for different printers, i tested with Kyocera and HPs

I am going to use this for auditing unneeded prints (lazy people printing emails for example), and also used in conjunction with monitoring toner levels to work out the cost per page.

Thanks for the motivation to work this out :)

Andrew

Created on May 23, 2017 4:13:58 AM

Last change on May 23, 2017 7:42:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi there, thank you for your post.

AndrewG is right. That OID refers to the prtMarkerLifeCount and can be monitored as a Delta (Counter). This produces a sensor that will monitor both print speed (pages/second) and volume (total pages/time). The "volume" allows you to easily produce a report for a specific time period (like a day) and get the volume of pages printed in the interval.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 23, 2017 7:47:10 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks a lot for the replies! We have Konica minolta's, is there a way to find the OID of other properties aswell? Like toner levels etc?

Created on May 23, 2017 9:27:00 AM

Votes:

The "generic" SNMP implementation for printers is based around the Printer-MIB(click for details). This is also what the standard sensor uses:

Your device may not implement the default counters, or may use other counters. In this case you may want to refer to this:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 23, 2017 12:49:36 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on May 23, 2017 12:49:56 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.