What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to make threshold trigger for a queue?

Votes:

We have a database table that's a queue for jobs to process. I've added a SQL sensor to query the length of that queue, which returns me back an integer that I monitor and graph. Sometimes, the application that processes that queue crashes and we have to restart it. I'd like to build a notification that goes something like this....Notify me when the queue length has stayed the same for the past 10 minutes and the queue length is greater than 0. Is this possible?

mssql notifications queue trigger

Created on May 22, 2017 5:12:17 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm afraid that won't work, since no notification trigger can be based on comparing last readings to the current one. The threshold trigger can do this to some extent, but only in terms of when the threshold is reached (current reading is greater than/smaller than/equal to some defined value) and then starts counting the time for how log it persists before the notification is being sent (or not).

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 24, 2017 12:17:05 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.