What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Binary Type channel / Sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I have a server that provides an XML status page indicating if given components are UP or Down.

I have built a custom EXE Sensor to run a power shell script that scrapes this page and return a JSON Chanel for each of the components status. This works by converting the text status to a binary (1 if active, 0 if not) and then returning this value in the channel with a LimitMinError of 1...

However this all seems overly convoluted to display a binary result, when all we want to know is if the channel is up or down. Again, the Graphs that display the result in PRTG don't make sense when we only want to know up or down.

Is there a simple way that I can process binary channels within PRTG ? There must be a better way that this convoluted mess.

custom-sensor prtg xml

Created on May 24, 2017 4:35:33 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

The best way is to create a look up by following this guide: Define Lookups.

You can also try the following method: Monitor and "Lookup" a SNMP String value.

Best regards.

Created on May 25, 2017 12:50:59 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.