What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IDENTIFYING UNSAVED RUNNING CONFIGURATIONS

Votes:

Looking for a way to identify if a running config isn't saved. I have all the information I need just need some assistance in making the sensor to monitor the following.

Cisco equipment records the time of configuration changes into the following SNMP variables:

ccmHistoryRunningLastSaved OBJECT-TYPE
 SYNTAX TimeTicks
 ACCESS read-only
 STATUS mandatory
 DESCRIPTION

"The value of sysUpTime when the running configuration was last saved (written).

If the value of ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged is greater than ccmHistoryRunningLastSaved, the configuration has been changed but not saved.

What constitutes a safe saving of the running configuration is a management policy issue beyond the scope of this MIB. For some installations, writing the running configuration to a terminal may be a way of capturing and saving it. Others may use local or remote storage. Thus ANY write is considered saving for the purposes of the MIB."

ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged OBJECT-TYPE
 SYNTAX TimeTicks
 ACCESS read-only
 STATUS mandatory
 DESCRIPTION

"The value of sysUpTime when the startup configuration was last written to. In general this is the default configuration used when cold starting the system. It may have been changed by a save of the running configuration or by a copy from elsewhere."

With these variables, I am sure PRTG can check when the running configuration has not been saved. When the running configuration is newer than the saved configuration, there is the potential for configuration changes to be lost.

There is a potential false alarm with Cisco equipment because they don’t actually track whether you’ve made a configuration change between entering and exiting config mode. Even with the possibility of a false alarm, it is worth checking to make sure that the desired configuration is saved.

configs setup unsaved

Created on May 30, 2017 3:52:41 PM

Last change on Jun 1, 2017 9:21:58 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Matthew,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post. I'll contact you directly as we need a couple of files from you which are better provided via mail.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jun 2, 2017 2:11:45 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.