What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device names change

Votes:

When adding sensors I find, not all the time, that the sensor name changesafter a while.

So for example I might create a sensor with the name: ABCD - then do what I need to do and next time I look at time, which could be 24hrs later or so, it has changed to: 10.1.1.1 (ABCD) and then other times it will add [RMON] to the end.

What causes this and is there a way for me to stop it doing this?

changes name prtg prth

Created on Jun 2, 2017 8:56:56 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Stuart,

Please navigate to the device where the RMON sensors are located and open the settings page. Unfold the SNMP Compatibility Options and see if Port Name Update > Keep port names (use this if you edit the names in PRTG) is marked.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 2, 2017 11:53:58 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Felix - yes, I have that option marked.

Created on Jun 2, 2017 11:56:29 AM

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Can you please provide a screenshot of the History tab of the RMON sensor which changes its name?

Cheers, Felix

Created on Jun 2, 2017 12:29:56 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Next time I spot one I will as I have now corrected' them all and can't recall which ones did this.

Created on Jun 2, 2017 12:32:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.