What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Custom String Notifications

Votes:

Hi. I am using SNMP Custom String using OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.1.5.1.9.0 against an AIX server to return the value of a cluster node. I would like to have PRTG notify me if that returned string value changes. Is this possible? This would tell me if it fails over to the secondary node. I have an interest in the fail over of the node but do not have console access or anything like that.

notifications prtg snmp-custom-sensor

Created on Jun 5, 2017 6:52:18 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi KPPTS,

You can use the SNMP Custom String Sensor to monitor the string. Enable the If Value Changes | Trigger 'change' notification option in the settings of the sensor and add a Change Trigger as notification to the device (below the notification tab of the sensor).

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 6, 2017 5:05:16 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi and thanks for the quick response. So, if I understand correctly you are saying a change in the value of the returned OID (string in the "message") will trigger the change and not a change in the "response time" or "downtime" channels? By the way, if I am looking for a string being returned in the custom OID sensor, why would response time and downtime be associated channels? It seems the main item the sensor is going out to get becomes a by-product of the entire premise of the sensor itself.

Created on Jun 6, 2017 1:04:01 PM

Votes:

Hi,

That's right, only changes to the string will activate the change trigger. The response time and downtime does not affect the result of the SNMP query, these are just two additional metrics. The downtime channel is part of every sensor in PRTG, the response time channel is part of most, but not all sensors.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 7, 2017 10:48:12 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.