What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why when I add a sensor manually in PRTG and then run auto-discovery, I get duplicate sensors?

Votes:

I am using PRTG version 17.2.31. I added Cisco Switch sensors manually. Then ran auto-discovery to the device. Now I duplicate sensors but when I run to check for duplicate sensors the software is not discovering them.

duplicate-sensors prtg snmp

Created on Jun 9, 2017 4:00:35 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

Duplicate sensors are only avoided when using the same template again on the same device. Already existing sensors that were created otherwise (manually or by a different template) will be disregarded and can lead to duplicates then. I would recommend to use only the template then instead of creating sensors manually that are already covered by the template.

"Find duplicates" function does not detect duplicate sensors, it tries to detect duplicates of the same device in the device tree.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jun 12, 2017 10:55:11 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.