What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device list search

Votes:

Hi,

Just want to ask if there's a way search a device name on the 'device list' tab for a given group? There's a search bar on top but I can only search for device tags. It would be really easier and helpful if I can do a search by device name.

Thanks, Ernest

prtg-network-monitor search search-device

Created on Jun 14, 2017 3:08:28 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Dear Ernest

While not limited to a particular group, the search box should also find objects, including groups and devices, by its name. (The search bar is independent of the "Device List" menu.)

Created on Jun 14, 2017 11:57:06 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing no result when searching by device name on the 'device list'. On the search box it only says 'filter by tags'. Is there a setting for this? When inputting tags I'm able to get result. But it would be easier if I could do like wild card search for a certain device name on the device list.

Created on Jun 15, 2017 12:58:40 AM

Votes:

Dear Ernest

I think I misunderstood your question. I meant the general search box in the upper-right corner. Lists views are only filterable by tags, that is correct. To search for names, please use the browser search function Ctrl-F.

If you change the webserver url and add &count=1000 you can expand the device list to show up to 1000 items.

Created on Jun 15, 2017 9:49:08 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. The general search box is not really helpful as it takes a while to search and when done it does'nt directly show me what I searched, which is very hard specially when I'm monitoring thousands of nodes. The browser search is faster. But for the 'device list' is it possible to include/add in the searchbox to be able to search for device names and not just by tags? I'm sure other IT admins will find this to be very useful, specially when you're monitoring thousands of nodes.

Created on Jun 16, 2017 12:51:45 AM

Votes:

Dear Ernest

While that would have its uses in some cases, please allow me to be upfront: We will likely not add a name search there. In most cases, a tag-based search is fine. Combining both name and tag search in the same field can lead to other issues. Adding another field seems a bit redundant as Ctrl-F is there, as well as the global search.

Again I agree that a name-based search does have its application, but the overall demand does not justify a change at this point in time.

Created on Jun 16, 2017 12:50:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Agree with Ernest, search by device would be very useful, lot's of companies use the name to identity a device type etc which PRTG may not necessarily tag. It would be great for multi editing and tagging devices, please consider adding this feature. I can't imagine it would be much of a development challenge to enable a search of device name within a DB.

Shane

Created on Jul 22, 2017 5:05:48 PM

Votes:

Dear shanemoran

In this case, a name search would be useful, I agree. However we implemented the tags for quick limitation on lists and want to avoid redundancy.

Going forward with the development of PRTG, we collect, discuss and organize user feedback. We still don't implement each good suggestion. This would blow up the software with a lot of additional options, making it harder to maintain in the future.

Instead, we try to distill a general direction in which we go forward. Talking about the user interface, there is a lot we can improve upon. We are currently in the process of improving some interface related things (though not addressing this one request) and hope that we serve the PRTG user base.

We welcome feedback because this is our only way to learn what PRTG users (beside ourselves) want, but we cannot promise to implement suggestions.

Created on Jul 25, 2017 4:20:48 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 25, 2017 4:28:05 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I think the function is already available, use the following URL http://localhost/searchdetailed.htm?searchtext=Meinberg&searchtype=device

Created on Nov 21, 2022 2:53:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.