What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP ID Changed

Votes:

Hi

I am getting SNMP Error 223 on some Cisco QoS sensors as I suspect the ID has changed after a reboot. Is there a way to just update the sensor with the new ID as I did with the ticky box selection prompt when the sensor was originally created or do I have to re-add all the broken ones again?

Thanks

Paul

cisco snmp snmp-sensor

Created on Jun 14, 2017 8:33:29 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Software/firmware updates or even reboots can re-order SNMP Indexes on your device.

Our suggestion in this case is that you pause the existing sensors and re-deploy the sensors, this way you can also be sure that you're using the most recent version of the sensor that's available.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 15, 2017 12:59:35 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi

Is there no way to just repoint the existing sensors so I don't lose the historical data? These sensors are also grouped in a custom sensor factory so it will mean re-creating that as well which seems like a fair bit of work when this is a known and expected behaviour of some devices.

Thanks

Paul

Created on Jun 15, 2017 1:12:38 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid that this isn't an option, as mentioned in the documentation from both Cisco IP SLA and Cisco CBQoS sensors regarding the sensor's settings:

Once a sensor is created, you cannot change this value. It is shown for reference purposes only. If you need to change this, please add the sensor anew.

On some sensors (SNMP Traffic, SNMP Disk Free) this is possible, but due to the internal sensor's logic this is not possible for these sensors.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 16, 2017 6:42:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.