What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Microsoft SQL V2 Sensor

Votes:

I've been trying to set up a PRTG sensor which will allow me to monitor SQL agent jobs I've got the SQL script fine and I'm running this using the Microsoft SQL V2 sensor which is giving me the expected output, unfortunately PRTG seems to not expect a string which, So I've adjusted the output to an integer which doesn't seem to of helped.

My question is how do I get PRTG to interpret the output into something measurable and allow me to, using the output, recognize it as an alert upon job failure?

mssql sql sqlsensor

Created on Jun 26, 2017 11:23:17 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please execute the query manually and post the output. Please also navigate in the according probe or core server to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\" and execute the "SQLv2.exe". There you enter all details including the query and check the output that the sensor generates, this is usually the output PRTG sees.

Best regards.

Created on Jun 27, 2017 8:36:33 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi I am not in work to be able to do this until tomorrow, but PRTG is receiving the output from SQL, so I don't believe the problem is the SQL script and the out can be changed and seen in PRTG, the question is how do I configure the sensor to use the results from the script to give warnings / alerts? I can supply what you've asked for but I think the problem relates to to PRTG sensor or more my lack of knowledge on how to configure the sensor to produce an alert depending on result

Created on Jun 29, 2017 3:41:55 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You are right PRTG does not accept Strings as values as you can't process and graph Strings. :)
Therefore you have to convert your strings to numbers which then PRTG can process and monitor. You can then activate the "Process data table" option. There you can set the unit for the first channel which would be "Value Lookup". How you can define them is described on the following site:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/define_lookups

You can also have a look at the following page which describes this pretty extensively:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/63259-how-can-i-monitor-strings-from-an-sql-database-and-show-a-sensor-status-depending-on-it

Best regards.

Created on Jun 29, 2017 7:02:59 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK have found what the problem was and it was that it was passing 0 or 1 as a string which caused the issue (passing integers as strings) I've corrected this and all is working fine, thanks for your assistance even with my misdirection it helped me figure out what was happening.

Created on Jun 30, 2017 12:04:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.