What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Send Email when Service is down

Votes:

Hi,

I'm totally new to PRTG and just began testing some monitoring my network at work. We have quite a small network (9 switches, 9 VMs, 2 Hyper-V Hosts). Now on some VMs, I have some applications running, that are quite important to me. Such as ESET Antivirus Server and PDQ Deploy/Inventory. I'd like to set PRTG to notify me, if these services were to stop. I know that it's possible to set PRTG to try and restart the service itself, but I'd like a notification prior to that. I'm sure this is possible, just not sure how to do it.

Thanks,

Steve

prtg services wmi

Created on Jun 28, 2017 11:02:47 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Steven,

Thank you very much for your support inquiry and welcome to our community.

Please add our SNMP Windows Service sensor to monitor the operating status of a specific service. Please add an individual sensor for each desired monitor.

Afterwards and when you made sure, that each sensor monitors the services properly, please configure the notification. How it's done can be found in this step-by-step guide.

You can also execute external programs, such as a batch file, with PRTG notifications. Please follow this link for further information on how to execute a program, which possibly try to restart the service.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jun 30, 2017 12:39:51 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 11:36:21 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.