What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issue with Windows Updates Status Alarm

Votes:

Hi all,

Looking at the alarms section, I am seeing the following alarm, but unsure of why I am seeing this:

1 # (Updates (Unclassified) Missing) is above the warning limit of 0.20 # in Updates (Unclassified) Missing

I have checked the server in question and it is patched and up to date, yet the alarm is ever present.

alarm prtg windows-update-status

Created on Jun 29, 2017 2:43:48 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello wilcochris,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post.

Please execute the following command in a powershell instance on the targeted host machine. $searcher = (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session).CreateUpdateSearcher();$searcher.Search("Type='Software'").Updates | Sort-Object -Property Dates -Descending | ft -autosize IsInstalled, MsrcSeverity If you see a value 'False', it would indicate that indeed an update is currently missing. Then, please check for missing updates on the targeted host again.
If you don't see any False entries, please execute a sensor rescan and let me know what's the result.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jun 30, 2017 9:26:30 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian,

I have the same issue and having followed your instructions above (including ,Title at the end of the powershell query) i can see that the 8 updates that my monitor says are missing are all the optional ones only. Can these be excluded from the sensor by default? If i'm monitoring 50 servers at the moment i don't really want to have to go in and manually change each of these sensors to exclude them so i'm really looking for a way to achieve this as a setting in the sensor itself that can be changed while adding (eg the SNMP disk free sensor where you can select which disks you want to monitor)

Thank you Graham

Created on Feb 27, 2019 2:44:22 PM

Votes:

Hello Graham,

Thank you very much for your response.

The Windows Update Status sensor does not meta scan the device, so it works different than your names SNMP Disk Free sensor or any sensor that allows you to select certain channel before the creation.

However, I believe that you are able to configure the update sensors using channel limits for the different sensor channels. If you are not interested in missing optional updates, adjust the corresponding channel for it accordingly.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 27, 2019 9:22:15 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.