What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto discovery issue?

Votes:

Hi,

I am new to PRTG. I installed a core server using PRTG v17.2.31.2018.

I created a device template in order to deploy similar sensors to multiple windows servers.
I ran the Auto Discovery > Run Auto-Discovery with template but then I get an error:

'Error reading data from server (HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request 400).

In the PRTG Core Server Log it shows:

Invalid Operation Request  ID: 50for User: 100  Manual discovery group requests to discover, but has no base ip
Webserver: Error 400: Sorry, the object is currently not valid, try again later

I did not specify any IP range as I ran the discovery against the groups created by the initial discovery:

• Network Discovery
  • Network Discovery>Windows
  • Network Discovery>Windows>Clients
  • Network Discovery>Windows>Servers

I also tried to run the 'plain' Auto Discovery (so without template) but nothing seems to happen, no entry is added to any of the log files.

auto-discovery prtg template

Created on Jun 29, 2017 4:56:48 PM

Last change on Jul 3, 2017 11:48:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Based on the following message:

Manual discovery group requests to discover, but has no base ip

It appears that you're trying to start an auto-discovery at group level, but there's no IP subnet/range defined. Please double-check the groups settings and make sure that the selected options and entered values (for each group) are valid.

Please note that if you want to re-discover the currently deployed devices with new templates, you should use the Devices > Device List menu, and select all relevant devices, then via multi-edit configure them to use the desired template and then again via multi-edit start a new auto-discovery on all of these devices.

When working with customer templates however, I encourage you to first test your templates on a single device before doing a discovery on a large amount of devices.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 3, 2017 11:48:23 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 3, 2017 11:50:36 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Thanks I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will

Created on Jul 3, 2017 3:16:18 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.