What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Setup not stable for me

Votes:

I've used both the paid and free versions and appreciate PRTG very much! I recommend it often. I have come to realize that my installations are never very "stable" in the sense that I go away for a couple of months and when I return, it just isn't working. The port number has changed from 8011 to 80 ?? and I have to remember what to do to fix that or look it up again. My logins don't seem to work and I have to redo those. My system configuration changes and I can no longer see the system devices that I need to see. What can I do to keep things intact?? This is a very big deal as I need it to be working when I need to look at failures, etc.

maintenance-windows prtg setup

Created on Jul 1, 2017 7:54:32 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Fred,

Nice to hear that you like our PRTG Network Monitor, we appreciate your recommendations as well! PRTG will only change the port number of the web interface if the port is bound by another application after a restart of the service, or host where PRTG got installed. The system configuration changes are unexpected, PRTG has no code to automatically delete devices after a certain time, only historic data. Are you the only administrator of these machines, or are there colleagues who might have done the changes?

I recommend to check the history tab of a group where some objects got deleted. By default, you can check previous changes for up to 30 days to see who directly changed the settings to prevent such issues in the future.

If you have any questions, please f let me know.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jul 3, 2017 12:00:21 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.