What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

in which case failover decide master node is down

Votes:

Hello everyone,

I would like to know in which case the failover decide "master node is down", the slave node become active ?

when the server doesn't respond to the ping ? when process (prtg server) doesn't respond ? in which case ?

I ask this question because on the last friday my PRTG server had a "out of memory" with a second message "access violation on process ...." and my PRTG was down. if i wasn't in front of my screen i would not have been warned

So i would like to know if i deploy a PRTG failover in the futur when i will have this problem again , i will have a guarantee of continuous from prtg

Thank you for your answers

check failover prtg

Created on Jul 11, 2017 10:12:27 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The cluster nodes constantly connect to each other and are sending "Keep-Alives". When a keep-alive is not answered, then the failover nodes knows that the Master Node is not reachable/down. Then the Failover-Node will continue with the monitoring till the Master Nodes sends a new Keep Alive. You can find additional information on the following site:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/failover_cluster_configuration

Best regards.

Created on Jul 12, 2017 11:14:52 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz,

Thank you for your answer, i think it's very important for us to deploy a failover solution this week. (after a first "out of memory" from my PRTG), we will be safe i hope.

Best regards

Created on Jul 17, 2017 7:37:14 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.