What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

set gauge maximums

Votes:

Is there still no way to set a gauge maximum?

I have several sensors that display values in gauges. But they always use the maximum value measured as maximum value in the gauge. For example i'm monitoring our UPS load values. The are currently around 60% but the gauge uses the maximum value measured as max value... so if you look at he gauge needle it looks like its has a load of 100%.

It would be so useful if you could set the max value, or have the gauge look at the "Vertical Axis Maximum" value.

I saw this question been asked earlier but it looks like there isn't a solution for this yet :-(

Martin

gauge maximum prtg

Created on Jul 11, 2017 3:13:30 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear mkrve

The gauge is automatically scaled. While this is not always the best solution, it is overall good enough to not have it as a top priority now.

Sensors with percentage channels do scale the gauge from 0-100%. An SNMP custom sensor cannot be set to percentage, but an SNMP Custom Advanced or SNMP Custom Table sensor can have channels set to use "Percent" as unit and therefore scale to 100%. This means you would have to manually enter the OID (either one by one for each voltage, or the ifTable for the Table sensor.)

Created on Jul 11, 2017 6:29:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks,

For this specific UPS device i imported a MIB file and then used the "SNMP Library" sensor to add the sensors. It added the Load sensors with percentage scales, but those gauges did not scale to 100%. I just added the Load sensors using the "SNMP Custom Advanced" sensor, manually entering the OID and choosing "percent" as channel unit. And then the gauge indeed scales to 100% :-)

thanks for pointing this out.

Created on Jul 12, 2017 6:38:48 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.