What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Migrate To New Server

Votes:

Hi,

We are looking to migrate an existing PRTG Server to a new Server, and I wanted to know if an acceptable migration path is to create a PRTG cluster and let PRTG sync/replicate everything between the two Servers, and then failover PRTG to the secondary node in the cluster and then change external DNS to point to the new secondary Server?

I have read the migration document, but wondered if this was an easier way to get everything across and working with little effort and risk.

Any thoughts appreciated.

cluster migrate server

Created on Jul 14, 2017 3:52:38 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-Post. Technically this is a possible approach. However, it will mean additional steps (which I wouldn't recommend, because they mean effort too):

• The old installation needs to be switched into Cluster Mode as Master (that means a restart of the Core Service).
  • The Cluster needs to be configured in terms of IPs / Hostnames.
  • The new installation will run as failover node first, meaning it only has a read-only interface. No changes can be made, as long as the Master is running.
  • Once you shut down the Master Node (old installation), you first need to switch the Failover into Master role and only then back to Standalone mode (another 2 Core Service Restarts at least). Going from Failover directly to Standalone will mean a new default configuration.
  • Also you'll get a Cluster Probe Device added, which you'll need to delete the entire migration (you can also leave it of course, it won't add any value though).

I honestly recommend to follow the normal migration guide.

best regards.

Created on Jul 17, 2017 1:12:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.