What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sporadic errors connecting to workstation after change of ip address

Votes:

All the sensors on a workstation were fine. Then I changed the IP address on that workstation. I updated the ip address on the device in PRTG but a few of the sensors are erroring out:

http://i.imgur.com/TbTwCFc.png

http://i.imgur.com/du4vtHy.png

Why would some sensors like CPU, Pagefile, and Uptime work just fine but then others like Disk Free, Memory, and a Process sensor stop working?

All I did was change the ip address. I have rebooted both the workstation and the PRTG server to see if it makes any difference.

Any suggestions? Thanks

pe015 prtg sensor

Created on Jul 14, 2017 11:07:20 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post.

The Windows CPU & Uptime Sensors actually are able to also read Performance Counter (additionally to reading WMI), as an alternative data source. Whereas Disk & Memory sensors can only rely on WMI. So it's very likely that reading Performance Counters does work here, but purely reading WMI does not.

To confirm this, please use our WMI Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe) and scan against this particular target, usually the "OS-Query" from the "Advanced" Tab of the Tool works best, please send us the Results. Please also see our extensive WMI Troubleshooting Guide.

best regards.

Created on Jul 18, 2017 10:29:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.