What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multivalve custom sensor

Votes:

Guys, I’ve SAN which return performance data in as series of values. Smth. like 100 IOPs values with corresponding timestamps. If array is "too busy", it reports "Busy, try again later". I.e. performance data might be unavailable in real time, but can be obtained at late time. Do you have an example how to load such "past" data using custom sensor or custom probe?

custom custom-sensor execute-program prtg

Created on Jul 18, 2017 2:42:11 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

On our end I haven't found something based on a script or something similar that could help you I'm afraid. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 18, 2017 12:12:39 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Erhard, Relatively complex approach is to create a “caching sensor”: On activation, it’ll query SAN, get “performance data in as series of values” and store it somehow. It’ll return value to PRTG for timestamp = (current time - 1 hour)

• 1 hour is a configurable delay. That’s assuming, even if device is busy we will be able query performance data some time later. I’m not diving into caching mechanism details just want to validate approach in general.

I wonder, it there is a way to load “past data” into PRTG database directly, without reading it from sensor? I.e. we create sensor which return “no data available” always and a separate process for loading that sensor data.

Created on Jul 18, 2017 3:55:55 PM

Votes:

All in all what you describe would be some logic that has to be taken care of by a script, maybe even with some local storage where the needed data for calculation is being held and in the end only some result will be transferred to the script sensor. PRTG in itself cannot handle that otherwise I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 19, 2017 6:08:40 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Erhard, Do you have any plans to support such multivalve custom sensors and/or load "past data" into PRTG database directly, without reading it from a sensor? It’ll make monitoring a lot easier in some cases.

Created on Jul 19, 2017 5:14:53 PM

Votes:

It's currently not on the roadmap, the scenario might also be too "exotic" to consider it for implementation I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 20, 2017 2:15:57 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.