What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I stop a device/group from being displayed in maps

Votes:

I have some devices that are taken out of service, so these should no longer be displayed on Maps. As I would like to keep the data gathered at hand for at least some time, I don't want to delete the devices. Does PRTG have a setting that allows me to keep the devices/groups, but no longer display them?

device display prtg

Created on Jul 18, 2017 7:21:17 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

If you're referencing "Root" in your map, it will include all objects below it. No Exceptions.

If you're using a "Probe" or "Group" as reference for the map-object, you can simply create a new group elsewhere and move these objects there.

The only other alternative (and only if this is a public map and may not work for all object types is) :

1. Create a new User and Group
  2. Grant the user access to all objects (Grant read at root, disable inheritance and remove relevant lower elements(groups, devices))
  3. Assign this user account to the security context of the map. The expect result is that the elements to which the user doesn't has access to aren't displayed in the public map. Be aware however that this only works for public maps.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 19, 2017 11:05:38 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.