New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring linux update

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello.

I would like to know how i can see if a linux server need to be update.

I've install and test prtg mini-probe. And it's working on the probe.

The mini-probe can monitoring other linux server or i have to install the mini-probe on each linux server ?

We have more than hundred linux server so i need to find a solution.

linux linux-os mini-probe ssh update

Created on Jul 18, 2017 12:02:43 PM by  psmulski (0) 1

3 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

I don't have an out of the box solution for this. With the Windows Update Powershell sensor what we do is performing a query that returns details about missing updates. I am not aware if such a query can be performed in Linux, maybe someone else can chip in on this.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 19, 2017 1:47:57 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Is there any solution to this? We use the windows update sensor and it works great. We have a large number of linux boxes in our enterprise, and it would be nice to monitor when they have outstanding security updates. Please advise.

Created on Dec 13, 2017 3:21:53 PM by  andrewleeds30 (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Andrew,

Not really. In Windows there are certain Powershell commands available that are being used in the sensor to retrieve those details. With Linux, not so much, basically all you find around that topic leads to apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but nothing that just performs the query and presents it in some sort of overview of missing/required updates and if so the output is quite hard to parse in order to represent the data like in a sensor for example.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 15, 2017 7:28:21 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.