What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Struggling to setup remote probes

Votes:

Hey guys,

At the moment, I have three remote probes linked into my system. These have all been setup by me remote desk topping into the computers at the site I wish to monitor, downloading a remote probe installer on my local machine, then transferring the file over to install. This only works after several trys and is a really inconsistent method to use. What is a more reliable method to use when setting up the remote probes on other machines? Is there a common bog standard one the is best or are there multiple different methods?

Any information would be great!

Cheers,

Charlie

prtg remote-probe sensors

Created on Jul 18, 2017 4:27:32 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Charlie

In PRTG, you could right-click on a device to open the context menu, select the Device Tools item and then use the function to install a remote probe.

However overall the preferred method is to log into the remote probe, open the PRTG webinterface from there and download the installer via Setup / Downloads / Remote Probe Installer. This should work at the first try.

Created on Jul 19, 2017 10:26:54 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 19, 2017 10:27:14 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply

Ideally I would be able to open the web interface to download the installer, however, I haven't been able to get onto the web interface from anywhere but the computers linked with the core probe. What method is used to log into the web interface when on a computer you want to setup a remote probe on? I tried simply putting in the IP address that I use to get to the login screen for the core probe computer, but I am always greeted with a "This site cannot be reached" sign. Any suggestions?

Created on Jul 19, 2017 10:48:39 AM

Votes:

Dear Charlie

On the core server, please open the "PRTG Administration Tool" (found in the PRTG program group) and check if you configured to webserver to allow remote access.

Created on Jul 19, 2017 12:02:41 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As I am using a new computer on the company network, the administration tool is not available on my machine. Is there a way of downloading a new copy for the web interface? Or, better yet, can I do what needs to be done from the web interface?

Created on Jul 19, 2017 12:39:50 PM

Votes:

Yes, you can actually do this from the web interface. In it, please go to the "System Administration - User Interface" settings to define from which hosts and on which IP(s) the PRTG Webserver will accept connections.

Created on Jul 20, 2017 11:29:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.