What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cant access PRTG web interface via remote desktop

Votes:

Hey guys,

Pretty much as the title states, I am trying to remote desktop onto machines at other sites in order to setup remote probes on them, however, I can't seem to access the PRTG web interface in order to download the probes. I try following the IP address that our core server is on (the way I log in on the core system) however this does not seem to work. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Am at a loose end hear so anything would be useful at this point!

All the best

Charlie

prtg remote-probe support

Created on Jul 19, 2017 9:02:35 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Charlie,

no worries, we'll get this. Please allow me to share a manual article that refers to the PRTG Administration Tool on the PRTG Core Server. Please check your configuration at the Web Server tab of the application and make sure that the radio button below is set to All IPs, which allows connections to the web interface from other clients.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 19, 2017 7:32:44 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply Sebastian,

I am not using the original computer that the core server was setup on, but am on the same network. Is there a way of getting the administration tool onto the new machine?

Cheers,

Charlie

Created on Jul 20, 2017 7:28:49 AM

Votes:

Hello Charlie,

no, the PRTG Administration Tool on the Core Server is part of the Main Installation process and installed on the Core Server exclusively.

Please ask the person responsible for the server to set the settings accordingly. I'm sorry but there is no alternative for that, you'll necessarily require physical access to the PRTG Core Server first.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 20, 2017 1:23:40 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to get access to the core server and change the settings in the web server tab to all IP's, this doesn't seem to have fixed the issue though. Any other suggestions that I could attempt?

Created on Jul 21, 2017 7:55:45 AM

Votes:

Hello Charlie,

Please help me to better comprehend the issue described.

Do I understand you correctly that you installed PRTG on a server with an IP address 192.168.1.100 (for example) and you like to access PRTG's web interface on another client in the same subnet?

Anyways, another approach is to copy the Remote Probe Installation file manually to the machine, that should act as Remote Probe later. The installation file is located on the PRTG Core Server under /webroot/public/PRTG_Remote_Probe_Installer.exe.
Please make sure that both hosts that run the Core Server and the Remote Probe reach each other and that port TCP 23560 is open on the Core Server. Further information can be found in our manual here.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 21, 2017 9:08:08 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.