What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG is not finding SOME machines

Votes:

I have one specific room with 33 identical boxes give or take a few apps but identical outside of that. Only major difference is some are hardwired while others are not. Does their need to be something extra done for prtg to find these machines?

I cant add an ip because all of these machines go on DHCP.

auto-discovery prtg wifi

Created on Jul 19, 2017 3:03:01 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Jay,

Thank you very much for your kb post.

What exactly do you try to monitor? Are the machines you are referring to regular Windows PCs or something else? Does your request only refers to the non-wired devices and are all other devices successfully found?

However, you can create the devices manually by using the DNS or FQDN instead of the IP address. This approach will prevent that PRTG looses the connection, even if the IP address change due to the DHCP settings.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 20, 2017 12:52:37 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I think I resolved the issue by making an auto discovery group. seems to have found most of the missing machines. I would need to double check but looks promising.

Created on Jul 20, 2017 1:01:50 PM

Votes:

Hello Jay,

Thank you very much for your response. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 21, 2017 5:59:33 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.