What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows DNS "Unusual"

Votes:

We are in a very small office, maybe a dozen machines pointed to a Windows 2012 R2 DC for DNS, probably less than 6 actually joined to the domain.

And every since I've started playing with PRTG its said the DNS response time on our DC was "unusual for this hour of the week". 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The server has plenty of resources and literally does nothing but run AD and DNS.

Anyone ever run into this and have a solution?

Fair warning. I'm just learning PRTG and having to do it on my own as my boss doesn't think it's worth while so forgive me if I have stupid questions. :)

dns unusual windows-2012-r2

Created on Jul 19, 2017 9:30:05 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello jcramseyiii,

Thank you very much for your kb post.

We need to take a further look at the affected sensor, therefore please open a support ticket or feel free to contact us via email to [email protected].

Please provide us with:
1.) a screenshot of the sensor's "Overview" tab
2.) a screenshot of the sensor's "Log" tab
3.) the sensor's configuration report (which can be generated within the sensor's "Settings" tab, using the small printer icon on the gray bar at the bottom of the page from where the report can be generated, simply print/save this as PDF file)

Please make sure to capture the whole PRTG user interface (neither cropped nor resized) in any screenshot and attach them as email file attachment.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 21, 2017 12:33:29 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.