What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hide/Remove unnecessary columns in a syslog table

Votes:

How I can hide or remove unused columns in syslog message table, like App name, Proc id, Msg id etc?

prtg syslog table

Created on Jul 25, 2017 10:24:25 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

Dear dcme

Short answer: This is not possible.

Long answer: It is possible, but not easy to maintain. You could edit the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\controls\sensormessages.htm". However, this file is overwritten with any PRTG software update.

Since this file ist not intended to be customized, it can be the case that the change will not work with future PRTG versions.

Created on Jul 25, 2017 6:52:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's unfortunate in that syslog messages bring in a lot of information that most admins / engineers probably don't need to see. For example, all my Cisco devices are using the default facility of 20 so i don't need to see this on the messages pane.

If removing a column is not an option, it would be a huge improvement to allow resizing of the columns at least. The "hostname" column is the same size as the "message" field, when the message section contains many more characters.

I hope this is included in a future PRTG release.

Created on Jan 2, 2018 10:27:42 PM

Votes:

Dear TEKinaka,

resizing columns is not supported. The current syslog (and trap) message table is not optimal and we will look to refine it. However, this will not be too soon. The upcoming 18.1.37 includes interface improvements but probably not for these two sensors, with some more improvements to come in the 38 release. We rather do this a bit slower, but thoughtful instead of rushing fixes which could then have unintended side effects.

We use the syslog and trap sensor ourselves and also consider the message column too small.

Created on Jan 3, 2018 8:45:40 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Arne-

I appreciate the honest response. Glad you feel the same way about the message column being too small. If this is on the roadmap for a future release, then i'll just keep updating!

The PRTG demo video https://www.paessler.com/support/videos/prtg-advanced/syslog-receiver shows a larger messages section for some reason (it looks like via the PRTG Enterprise Console, not the web console), but i don't see any way to expand it to this size.

Image description

Created on Jan 3, 2018 10:16:44 PM

Votes:

Dear TEKinaka,

this video was recorded with an older PRTG version (and an older sensor version.) The message column was larger by default at that time.

Created on Jan 4, 2018 9:37:53 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, any update about resize the column ?, I'M difficult to see my message in tabel column, I hope the tabel can by dynamic to adjustment

Thanks.

Created on Jan 31, 2018 2:04:10 AM

Votes:

Dear ael_irsal,

we plan to roll out better auto sizing with the next version of PRTG, 18.1.37..

Created on Jan 31, 2018 3:09:15 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is good news. Thanks for the update!

Created on Jan 31, 2018 10:33:19 PM

Votes:

Hello! I just updated to 18.1.38.11934 and I can't resize the syslog message column or remove other columns. Is there a way to do this in this new version?

Created on Mar 9, 2018 3:29:39 PM

Votes:

This is just sad guys. So many posts about the syslog and you still won't let us export, you won't let us resize, you won't even give a generous default size to the messages or a way to see them in the mobile app. Do you realize how useless that can make the syslog sensor when you have a serious problem or a lot of messages to comb through? Then you hide behind things like "PRTG isn't really meant to handle syslog" or "we want to push out the change thoughtfully/carefully". 1. Drop the syslog function you have put so much effort into and made so much better (which is appreciated!) if you're ultimately going to leave it half-baked and impotent. 2. Useable columns is not some big core change to your program. It's just dumping some data to a webpage - how hard do you really want to act like that is?

Please make some changes here, this is just not acceptable and hasn't been for years. Maybe take a breath from supporting more esoteric hardware and things "donut graphs" and bring up to spec what is an obviously important and primary PRTG monitoring function for many people. Your competitors understand this.

Created on Jun 19, 2018 6:23:27 AM

Votes:

Dear gindc,

since I use the syslog sensor myself, I understand the frustration. We want to do some changes, however this will not be soon, as we are work on other features first.

Created on Jun 19, 2018 1:53:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 19, 2018 2:11:40 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.