What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Increase in PING Latency

Votes:

Afternoon

I have having a strange issue in that since the 16th July, my ping latency has gone up massively.

A bit of background. I have 17 shops all connected back to HO via VPN connections. The HO has a leased line installed. Using PTRG, I ping both the router using the external IP address and the firewall using the internal IP address.

Before the 16th, I was returning a 23msec response. Since the 16th July,this has shot up to a max of 651msec.

Nothing has changed on the firewall at HO or the firewalls in the shops. No updates have been done to the PRTG server.

No changes have been made to the leased line.

I have been monitoring the traffic and apart from the odd peak when everyone jumps on the internet, it is averaging about 2mbps throughput, both up and down.

So my question is this, what could be causing this?

Wayne

latency ping vpn

Created on Jul 25, 2017 2:05:17 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for the KB-Post. Does the higher ping latency only show in PRTG Ping Sensors? Or also when manually pinging a target on CMD?
Does restarting the PRTG Probe Service improve the latencies on the Ping Sensors in PRTG?

best regards.

Created on Jul 27, 2017 11:12:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten

The high latency was only showing on the Ping Sensor. Manually pinging the target was returning a normal latency.

I restarted the server to no effect. I have since migrated to Server 2016 and the latency is reporting normally.

Strange one.

Created on Jul 27, 2017 11:17:01 AM

Votes:

Very strange that not even restarting the server did help. Should the issue re-occur, please do get back to us.

Created on Jul 31, 2017 8:45:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.