What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Automatic Logout

Votes:

I've set our Automatic Logout option to Logout user automatically after a certain period of inactivity.

The period I set is 600 but we still get logged out after around an hour.

Is this a bug?

auto-logout logout prtg web-gui

Created on Jul 26, 2017 6:21:57 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

I would recommend using option "Keep user logged in, even for a longer period of inactivity" instead. Keep in mind that this setting does not avoid password prompts when accessing administrative pages (basically everything in section "Setup" of the menubar).

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 27, 2017 10:34:26 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Erhard - it still logs out after an hour or so of inactivity with that setting though. I'd like to only have to log in once or twice a day.

Created on Jul 31, 2017 1:06:59 AM

Votes:

Which PRTG version are you currently using? Also when going to Setup | PRTG Status, you find on the left column section CORE SYSTEM MEMORY, near the end of this section there's a value for Sessions, e.g. like 2 KByte (15). What value is shown there in your installation? I would recommend taking a look several times at this value to see how it changed over time.

Created on Jul 31, 2017 2:16:10 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

PRTG Network Monitor 17.2.30.1767 x64

11am- Sessions 13 KByte (70)

2pm- Sessions 2 KByte (11)

4pm- Sessions 1 KByte (6)

Created on Aug 8, 2017 5:49:44 AM

Votes:

Thank you, will ask the devs about it and get back to you.

Created on Aug 8, 2017 3:06:14 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, so there are two logout "mechanisms":

• The one you can configure for your user applies only while having PRTG opened in a browser
  • The other one that's occurring every 60 minutes is based on a cookie, which happens when the cookie no longer got updated in case there was no login session in the browser. This will always lead to getting logged out after 60 minutes.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 9, 2017 11:31:14 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.